I work for a company that does internet and mail-order. We don't use USPS
for much of anything unless the customer signs off on it because even when
you have a tracking and guarantee they're not worth much if the package
gets lost or delayed, and delayed packages are much more the norm than not
when we do use them. UPS and FedEx cost more, but their tracking works and
they have much more accountability when something goes wrong. If Riv's
experience has been similar in the least I don't blame them for choosing
safe but expensive, I'd do the same thing.