On 06/29/2016 02:20 PM, Reed Kennedy wrote:
Great info, thanks! I've long had theories about how this might go, but it's great to have images with solid information!

Random thought: I wonder if thinning the outer rubber on a tire could, under some circumstances, lead to less flatting? Hear me out...

As we can all tell by looking at used tires, the rubber part doesn't provide much resistance to pictures or cuts. I believe it is the casing that provides most of the flat resistance. And while you'll sometimes have something punch all the way through in one go, most of my flats seem to come from something getting embedded in the rubber and then pushed in further and further with every rotation of the tire. That's the whole theory behind tire wipers.

I wonder if less rubber might hold debris less firmly, and the puncture-causers might be more likely to fall off as you ride. Perhaps resulting in fewer flats?

Well, if that were true then brand new tires would get flats a lot, and as they wore the flats would become less frequent, until at last when the tire was completely bald and the casing showing through, they would get no flats at all. But in real life, it happens in exactly the reverse order.