Started in Centreville, MD and went to Milford and Milton Delaware and back.

129 Miles

*Bike and weather:*

On 53 Bleriot. Noodles. Loups. 50’s-60’sF. Rainy and cloudy all day. Light
rain off and on and a little steady at times, but light enough to be fun.
Beautiful day in warm enough temps. The rain was light enough to be no
problem. It can be fun to ride in a light rain. The overcast skies and cool
air add to the interesting and beautiful ambiance.

It was overcast and dim outside. Light rain off and on all day. I was so
anxious about the ride, being my first brevet that I didn't sleep at all
the night before. I am not Randonneur material. Just not a hardy person.
But I wanted to go a little further than Centuries, so I tried it.

*The Ride:*

The ride started at about 7am. Everyone took off into the early morning
gloom (50 riders?) from the lot and I was one of the last out of the lot. I
jumped ahead and figured I’d ride mid-pack so that as we spread out I would
still have people behind me and I wouldn’t be last. I felt it would be good
to have some riders behind me as the ride went on in case I needed
something, or couldn’t make out a turn. I could always try to manage until
the next rider came along and get assistance if needed. Ha! I quickly fell
to the back of the pack! Silly me, thinking I could keep up with
Randonneurs!

The sun was up but it was overcast and cool and a little dark. It was a
nice ambiance to ride in, though a little gloomy.

I tried to keep up with the front group. So I figured if I could keep them
in sight I could follow them and not worry about missing the turns so much.
But they were going fast and I knew I shouldn’t go too hard in the
beginning. I started to get into a more forever speed and relaxed back into
the pack. There seemed to be the front group, a middle group, and those
behind me. Like maybe 5-10 people.  Me and another guy were sort of in the
middle of the last two groups. Soon I was passed by three more people. I
kept going and it was a nice ride. I could see people in the distance to
follow on turns. I tried to keep them in sight. It was easy going and not
too fast. I was having fun. Soon the other rider with me moved on ahead and
I was coming to the first info control. It asked how many tiers the
birdhouse, just after a turn had. I counted three and discussed it with a
small group of riders from ahead of me who had stopped to check it out.
They moved on and as I was finishing, two more riders came up from behind –
George and Jonathan.

We rode together a little and George introduced himself. We chatted for a
while, but then they moved on ahead of me. I knew I was one of the last
ones at that point. I am just soooooo sloooowww. I followed the cue sheet
and took the turns easily. It was pretty much flat and easy going. I was
confident and happy. But it was starting to rain a little. I looked for the
next control listed on the cue sheet and it was at mile 50. I thought that
was far for a control, but it was a 205k ride so I guess they had to be far
apart. I think at around mile 28 there was a gas station/convenience store,
and I figured I’d stop there for a quick break and to get a drink to
resupply. Some of the riders from up ahead had the same idea and we chatted
about our bikes. They took off and I did soon after. It was light and
rained off and on for the first part of the ride. Not hard enough to put on
the rain gear, though. I kept going and was enjoying the ride. I think I
was mostly alone at that point. As I entered Milford, Delaware, near the
next control, I rode down the main looking street. I asked someone in a car
where the turn I was looking for was, and he said just ahead. I went along
and stopped at Dolce coffee place, as it was an open control in Milford and
you could stop anywhere to get a receipt. There were some seats inside and
outside on the sidewalk. Riders were hanging out and eating and drinking
and taking their break. I got a coke and a Gatorade and ate a little. The
more remote towns on the Eastern shore of Maryland and into Delaware seem
to be only several square blocks between miles of farmland, and this was no
different. I enjoy riding through these towns and wonder about the
inhabitants and what they do for a living all the way out in such remote
places that allows them to live in such beautiful towns like this one.

After the break I started out alone again and double checked myself on the
little map I had cut out from a cycling map of the Delmarva peninsula I
bought. It was great and came in handy a few times to help me check where I
was to make sure I didn’t overshoot any turns and I was still going the
right way. *I’ll have to remember to try to bring a map like that on
brevets with the route traced out by me in highlight pen for easy
orienteering. *It was good to have along, though I only needed it a few
times.

At mile 60, the next info control came up asking a T or F question about
what kind of intersection it was at the info control. I answere and moved
on. I was having a lot of fun and was riding alone. Along the roads I saw a
porta john and used it. When I came out I mounted up and continued riding
and was having a blast. Overcast, cool, and a little dim outside. It
started to rain harder so I put on all the rain gear I had and a shower cap
onto the saddle. It worked great and kept me dry the whole rest of the
ride. J&G waterproof, breatheable rain jacket and pants, and Gore shoe
covers, in case anyone is interested. Worked great in those temps.

I pulled up to the Subway at the next open control at mile 68 and there
were a handful of randonneurs still there. I went into the Subway and left
my bike unlocked, leaned against the window outside so I could see it from
inside. I saw them leave and, as I was in line I started to get nervous
about the bike being there when all the sudden I saw George and Johnny pull
up and park their bikes outside and come into the Subway. We ate together
and talked randonneuring. They were very nice. I asked if the ride sponsors
really wouldn’t pick anyone up and you had to have someone lined up already
to come get you if you abandoned. George said they just say that but they
will probably pick you up if you are really stuck. Then he said that if I
got stuck he would come back to pick me up. I found that to be such a nice
thing to be willing to do. I was surprised that he said that and was
willing to do that. My step-daughter said she would come get me if I
DNF’d but the last thing I wanted to do was to bother anyone if I DNF'd,
step-daughter, George, RBA, or otherwise. *That is the main detractor from
Randonneuring for me.* I'd hate to ask someone drive hours to come pick me
up if I DNF'd.

As we started again, George welcomed me to ride with him and his son. So we
departed together and headed out in the rain for the rest of the ride. I
asked George a lot of Randonneuring questions and he told me about his
experiences. Quite accomplished. Just did PBP recently. I think he had done
it twice before, too. George and son were both riding steel. One was a bike
with couplers and bar ends. One was a Bilenky with DT shifters, I think.
Fenders.

George got a flat, but we changed it quickly and went on our way. I got a
little chilly standing around during the repair and was glad to get moving
again to warm up. We came to the 87 Mile open control at the Gas Mart in
Bridgeville, DE. We snacked and then added layers, as it seemed to be
getting colder.

It soon got dark and it was a lot of fun to ride with the edeluxe II light
on. So much fun to ride with the headlights on. Like riding in a space
ship. I could see street signs pretty well. But easier with the helmet
light. But the helmet light overpowered the edeluxe beam and then it was
like riding with just the helmet light on. But I like the edeluxe beam
better so I turned the helmet light off or down to lowest setting and just
used it to read the cue sheet and look at the street sign names. George
commented that as I rode behind him, the helmet beam blinded him in his
rearview mirror and I could see that it would not be good to ride in groups
with the helmet light on and facing forward as it would do this. I noted
that he had a very small helmet light. It was a small cylinder type of
light that had different settings and was strapped to his helmet. It was
tiny and lightweight and pointing straight down at his cue sheet for
reading it. He could also use a brighter setting to read street signs, he
said. He also mentioned it was lighter than carrying a big battery helmet
light like my Minewt600, which is pretty heavy. So it was good to learn
about more optimal headlighting.

We rolled into a Royal Farms store in the dark and didn’t go in but just
took a quick break before taking off again for the last 21 or so miles of
the ride. I was in new territory for me now, having only ridden 105 miles
at the most before this. It was difficult to find the turns because they
weren't marked well and I wasn't applying my attention as much since George
was leading as he was familiar with the route. I am glad I was with them or
I would have had to stop sometimes to check my whereabouts on the map to
make sure I was still on track. We all rode and chatted until we got close
to the end. George was joking about the fine Randonneuring art of finishing
just late enough, at just the right time, so the RBA had to order you a
fresh pizza.

We turned into the Good Guys Pizza and George was talking animatedly to the
ride sponsor about the time. Our final time was 11h59minutes. We leaned our
bikes up against the outside of the bar with others’ bikes and headed in to
sign our brevet cards. Everyone was really nice and seemed excited to hear
that someone just finished their first 200k ride. The other randonneurs
were excitedly pointing out others who had also just finished their first
200k. I ate pizza and chatted with Johnny and George for a while and then
we said goodbye and I rode over to the car by myself and started for home.
I hope to do this ride again next year. It was so much fun. Flat, almost no
wind. Weather was plenty warm enough and the very light rainy weather added
to the nice ambiance of the ride. My energy was up all day and I didn’t get
tired, even with not sleeping the night before. The Gore shoe covers and
J&G rain gear worked great and I stayed dry all day. Shoes and feet stayed
dry, too! Bleriot was comfy the whole time.

Like I said, I don't think I am fast or hardy enough for Randonneuring. I
cannot imagine 10,000 feet of climbing and riding in sub-freezing temps all
day, which is what the local Rando club does around here in the Maryland
winters. George and one of the other club members have committed to riding
200k's every month and have been doing so in all kinds of weather for 10
years now. I cannot imagine.

But I am so thankful that the Lord blessed me with such a great 200k ride
and to meet a brother along the way to ride it with! I hope to do this ride
again next year, and maybe George and Jonathan will be there again. I
recommend this ride to anyone wanting to try their first 200k. It was very
well run and everyone along the way was so friendly.

A few pics. Enjoy!:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/70237737@N00/9XGd1B