Jim,
As it is snowing hard and I am one of 3 people in my building right now,

I don't remember 853 ever havbing a certification on it. It is
airhardening, but it has been used pretty successfully for lugged
frames, You don;t get the hardening benefit, but it still is prettuy
high quality steel even without the hardening. I can't remember my
source on that though.  I worked with a bunch of 853 when I
apprenticed at Kelly 13 years ago or so and I don't think there was a
test at all to get it, just buy it and watch it tear through your
holesaws and realize you need to buy better ones for this stuff, hard
thinwall tubes are a bit tricky compared to older steels.  (similar
behavior to the ox Platinum TT sells).   I don't remember the first
generation of 853 (probably at the same time that waterford was
building riv frames) being suitable dimensions for existing lugs
either...

My two cents.
Tarik

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 10:06 AM, CycloFiend <cyclofi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> on 12/23/09 8:52 AM, XO-1.org Rough Riders at adventureco...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
>> It's not a 753 frame. I think that's a typo. 853 is more likely.
>
> 853 was a tubeset designed for tig welding, referred to as "Air-Hardened" so
> that it strengthens as it is welded.  753 was formulated for low temp
> brazing applications. Both 853 and 753 required a builder to be certified
> before Reynolds would sell it to them.
>
> This photo (seems to be added since the original post) seems to show a 753
> sticker -
> http://tinyurl.com/allrounder753
>
> --
> Jim Edgar
> cyclofi...@earthlink.net
>
> Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
> Current Classics - Cross Bikes
> Singlespeed - Working Bikes
>
> Send In Your Photos! - Here's how: http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines
>

> "'You both ride your bike?' He held his hands out and grabbed imaginary
> handlebars, grinning indulgently, eyeing Tom's helmet.  Double disbeleif:
> not one, but two grown Americans riding bicycles."
> -- Neal Stephenson, "Zodiac"

Tarik Saleh
tas at tariksaleh dot com
in los alamos, po box 208, 87544