On 08/26/2016 09:21 AM, Brian Campbell wrote:
FWIW, I use a 12-30 Ultegra cassette, 10 Speed, 10 speed indexed Dura Ace down tube shifters and an Ultegra long cage rear derailleur, 6603, with 46/30 chain rings and it all works really well.

100% totally compatible, designed to work together components there, so it would be shocking if they didn't work together perfectly. You could even push that to a 32T large sprocket and it would all still be within design specs. If you needed to, you could push that rear derailleur a bit farther with a Wolftooth Road Link, which is basically an extension to the dropout to set the rear derailleur a bit lower, allowing it to clear a 40T sprocket, but you'd need to take care to not exceed the maximum capacity of the derailleur, which IIRC Wolftooth says is around 39T. This isn't too important with 10 speed setups, because the 8/9 spd MTB derailleur hack works so well, but when you go to 11 it gets more complicated and pushing road rear derailleurs becomes more important.

Also with the Dura Ace 10 speed down tube shifters "not " having a friction mode is not an issue. All that needs to be done to put the shifter in friction mode is to back the mounting screw off a couple of turns and in an emergency, it will shift with no problem. I tried this after reading it on the internet and it works well enough that I no longer think about having a specific friction mode in case of "emergencies that that never actually happen".....

That sort of problem used to happen much more often back in the day. I had a 7 speed indexing failure on a tour one time riding in the rain, and switching to friction mode was my salvation. But things have improved and become much more reliable since then. What's more, it's anybody's guess if you could successfully work 10 speed friction even if it was available; my ability to friction shift extends no farther than 7 and maybe 8, while others seem to have better luck with 8 and even higher.