SOMA New Xpress: I have only tried the relatively narrow versions
(somewhere around 32mm) on 700C rims. I found them indistinguishable from
the belted (TG, PT, etc) Paselas.

Which is to say I liked them quite a bit years back, but consider them kind
of a utility tire these days. Not really in the same league as the Compass
tires in my opinion, but probably only one or two leagues back.

Following Jan's advice I am now running wide supple non-reenforced tires at
low pressure even on the dirty city streets of San Francisco. Three months
in, I've yet to have a flat. If my good fortune continues I'll be happy to
bid reenforced tires like the Xpress adieu, but I'll probably keep using
the standard Pasela in city bikes just because they are such an excellent
deal.

Reed