Last summer at a tandem rally I chatted with a couple who had toured from
the Maine coast into the adirondack with 10 speed friction.  He reported
that on balance I found it easier and more reliable than indexed shifting.
  Tandems, of course, have mega long cables which can easily throw indexing
out of alignment.

Michael