On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 12:55:36 PM UTC-7, Patrick Moore wrote:

> Mike: what are those dangerously heresy-skirting "other bikes"? Photos?

If you poke around a bit your can see the other bikes here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/41335973@N00/

My main go to bikes are my LHT and my singlespeed Cross Check. Lately I've
been doing a ton of riding on the CC. This past summer, which has gone by
far too quickly, I usually got out once a week for a ramble around the dirt
roads in the Mt Hood NF. Most of this riding I did on my LHT. I did manage
a 5 day tour on my Big Dummy which was pretty awesome, taking in miles of
dirt roads. There's some photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/41335973@N00/albums/72157667520325613

While there are no more Rivs in my quiver, you can tell I have plenty of
Surlys. I love Surly. My CC is 10yrs old and I just love that bike. I've
threatened to sell it in the past but glad I haven't. My LHT is the bike I
wish my Hilsen was. The Hilsen was awesome but it shimmied at speed and
with a load. Furthermore, I like the stopping power of cantis over Silver
brakes, especially with a load or off-road. I recently put a Paul brake on
the front and am kicking myself for waiting so long. I'll eventually get a
Paul for the rear and for my CC.

The other bikes are my Krampus which I really haven't ridden much this
year. On the days where I could go mountain bike, I just felt like going
dirt road rambling. Just a little less stressful and overall better for my
head if that makes sense.

I also have a Salsa Vaya which I really want to like but the reality is I
don't. I'm not anti disc brakes but I just prefer cantis and the set-up on
my 10yr old CC. In fact, I'm thinking of selling the Vaya and getting a
second CC (geared). My Joshua Bryan randonneur is disassembled in the
basement and I need to work towards selling the frame. The last
randonneuring event I did was the Cascade 1200k and I don't see myself
doing riding like that anymore. Hell, I'd be more likely to race cross
before I randonneured again.

Daughters: even more expensive than bikes. My daughter is 15, so I have
> plenty of free time; just no money (or life). Daughters if well raised
> become as they get older less demanding of time but far more demanding of
> your money -- lessee: this month: driving lessons; deposit on summer trip
> to Ireland; cash for dress for tonight's dance because, well, she didn't
> think to order cheaper online until last night; etc etc etc.

Parenthood: As tough as it is I love it so much. Next year my wife and I
are planning on making a better effort at doing some care camping with our
daughter. I think she'd like it.

> I still cycle as avidly as I did 30 years ago when I started up again
> after a 9 year hiatus; I'm just slower.

I turned 50 earlier this month. While I ride daily, the monthly mileage is
not what it was years ago and that's okay. I don't feel 50 and certainly
don't act it. My plan is to keep riding as long as I can. I love the idea
of growing older on the bike.

--mike