I've shipped with Amtrak. It's pretty slick. Things to note:

They'll charge you for the special giant box if they don't happen to ha e a
used one around. $15 I think?

They won't let you put anything else in the empty space. I'd thought I
could stash my empty panniers in the void. Nope.

It was great to be able to ride to the station on the bike I was shipping.

Best,
joe
pdx or

Caveat lector. Sent from a phone.