Dear Leah,
I share others appreciation for both the updates and your writing talents!
On the pedestrian issue, if the sidewalks are indeed trails, perhaps getting
your community to place signs would help.  Most of our "trails" have frequent
signs reminding folks to walk/bike on the right and pass on the left, to
announce they are passing, and to follow speed limits.  Signs along with PTA
presentations and individual conversations will help.
My love of cycling dates to 5th grade when I was allowed to bike to school.
Keep up the great work and keep the updates coming.
All the best,
Erl