Thanks for the report and photos.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Mark Reimer <marknrei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I went on a long s24o this weekend - 108km (about 67 miles) on varying
> surfaces.
>
> The route started with a 'Voyageur Start'. This excellent term was new to
> me. Supposedly the old fur trading voyageurs would paddle out of town for
> only a few miles before stopping for the first night, with the idea that if
> they had forgotten anything critical, they were still able to turn back and
> retrieve forgotten supplies. I can understand the reasoning when you're
> paddling half way across a country.
>
> So, we rolled out of Elma, Manitoba at 2pm and stopped 10km later in
> Whitemouth for some burgers, soup, pumpkin pie and beers. I have to say I'm
> a fan of this voyageur start business..
>
> We hit about 15km of farm roads, which were a mix of gravel roads, mud
> roads, and double track. I was riding Compass Barlow Pass Extra-Lite 38s on
> my Atlantis. We connected to a rolling highway that snakes through the
> Canadian Shield, making for a camp spot at Meditation Lake. Can you think
> of a better-named destination?
>
> I had planned the route to include two special off-road diversions. The
> first was a snowmobile track that ended at an old prison site. The second
> is part of the trans-canada trail, which is mostly crushed stone, exposed
> granite and a touch of grassy single track here and there. Being October,
> all these sections would be done in complete darkness as a result of our
> long, leisurely lunch.
>
> The temperature dropped to about freezing and we kept warm by maintaining
> a respectable pace. It has rained for nearly the entire week prior, so full
> fenders were a must. I was very happy with how the Barlow Pass tires rolled
> over the varied surfaces and had no flats despite the sharp rocky trails,
> exposed granite, and rough roads.
>
> We had all of Meditation Lake to ourselves, save the occasional chorus of
> coyotes and owls in the night. A few beers, some pad thai and a bonfire
> later and we were passed out.
>
> We woke up to the sound of shotguns, which was surprising to say the
> least.  I guess with camping season officially closed, hunting is allowed
> near the camp spot. We passed 6 hunters on our 5km ride back to the
> highway. The ride back was pretty much the same, including a second
> voyageur start for our second breakfast of the day. A stiff headwind
> reduced our pace to between 9-15km/h for the final 50km. It was a grind,
> but still having fun.
>

> In the end, we covered 210km, saw several bald eagles, had a fox run along
> with us for about 30 seconds, were treated to a clear night with bright
> stars, and sent autumn on its way properly. The next s24o is my annual
> November Winter Welcomer, which is on the first weekend of November, and
> marks the beginning of the snowy, sub-freezing camping season :)
>
> Hope you all had a great weekend.

> [...]

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.* *(The cross stands motionless while the
world revolves.) *Carthusian motto

*It is *we *who change; *He* remains the same.* Eckhart

*Kinei hos eromenon.* (*It moves [all things] as the beloved.) *Aristotle