I had the same thing happen to my 9 spd bar end shifter after about 14k miles.
In the middle of the range where it spent the most time the indexing got very
sloppy to the point where it didn't click positively in 2 or 3 gears. I used it
in friction mode after that for a short while but eventually replaced them with
a new set since the replies I got from the group were that they were not

Mike C
Bellbrook OH