I have a couple of bikes (a Bleriot and a Rivendell custom) using Sugino PX
cranks with TA Cyclotouriste chainrings. I've been running them for about
15 years using Shimano 9-speed chains and cassettes without any problem -
the chainring spacing with the TA spacers seems ok for 9-speed. I recently
wore out the chain and cassette on one bike, and as I had a spare set of
10-speed barend shifters, I purchased a 10s cassette and chain. However, I
found that the chainring spacing was a bit wide for the chain, as when
shifting down to the small ring it would fairly frequently skate in the gap
between the chainrings rather than engage the chainring teeth.

The solution turned out to be fairly easy - the TA spacers have a 7mm
inside diameter and are 3.5mm thick. A 9/32" washer has almost exactly the
same I.D (9/32 = 7.14mm), so I purchased a couple of dozen of these washers
in stainless steel from a local hardware store - total cost $2. These
particular washers were 0.75mm thick, so I used four at each chainring bolt
location to reduce the spacing to 3mm. This seems almost exactly right for
the 10-speed chain - it no longer ever sits between the chainrings, and I
can still use virtually the entire range of the cassette with the small
chainring without having the chain hit the large ring due to the angle it
is running at.