Kudos, John. You've done something I've wanted to do and which I've
dithered about for years and you set a good example.

I was talking to a wizened old guy at Stevie's yesterday (Wait a minute!
He's my age!) who after establishing himself with his clientelel is able to
put his remodeling business on hold for weeks at a time ride off from his
Corrales doorstep into the NM and CO wilderness loaded with up to 60 lb on
his custom 29er touring machine (Co-motion? Nice bike, if very stout.) He's
told me some wonderful stories -- camping on a small butte in a narrow
valley surrounded by mesas, and while preparing his morning coffee seeing a
sliver of moon peek over a distant mesa, with the sun coming up behind it.

We've got some good gravel and dirt riding in the Jemez mountains starting
about 50 miles from my door; the only problem is that these 50 miles are
along a 80 mph 4 lane and then up a very narrow and winding 2 lane until
you get to the turnoff, where the network of old logging roads begin.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 8:08 PM, John M <john.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For years I have wanted to make a bike tour out of the quiet backroads and
> hidden corners of SW New Mexico where I live.  But a whole litany of
> excuses, both real and imagined conspired against it—didn’t have the right
> bike, too hot, too windy, too little water, not enough time, not in good
> enough shape, not safe to go alone, and on and on and on.  This year I
> became the new owner of a barely used Hunqapillar and resolved to make it
> happen.  About a month ago I sketched out a rough plan and started putting
> touring equipment together.  Last Thursday after spending way too much time
> agonizing over the final details and packing for my fears instead of my
> confidence, I locked the front door and soft pedaled through town headed
> south towards the bootheel of New Mexico, destined for the Chiricahua
> mountains just over the border in Arizona.
>

> I figured I could do 50 miles per day, with a mix of dirt and
> pavement—though I haven't had many rides over 15 miles in the last few
> years.  More worrying than my ability to go the distance was the
> resupply—mostly of water, but also food.  Water, like towns,  are scarce
> out here and I planned to pack enough supplies to ride straight through
> each day without needing to count on uncertain water sources (cattle tanks)
> or stores that might be out of business or closed for the day.  I spent 4
> days touring, camping in Forest Service campgrounds or just out in the wide
> desert on BLM land.
>

> Pictorial highlights here:  Flickr photos
> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/8375639@N05/albums/72157673725364172/with/30131466572/>
>

> Route info here: Plotaroute <https://www.plotaroute.com/route/298220>
>

> Other than the Chiricahua mountains which are justifiable famous among
> bird watchers (Trogons!) and outdoorsy folk, it was wonderfully desolate
> out there.  Ranch trucks and the Border Patrol were about the only other
> travelers on the roads.   On one 20 mile stretch of dirt road, I spent
> three hours spinning away in the small chainring, climbing in and out of
> small drainages without a car passing me, or even having one in sight.
>
> The bike did wonderfully—no mechanical failures or tire punctures.  I had
> converted the Racing Ralphs to tubeless about a month ago to make sure they
> would be reliable.  I still didn’t trust them completely and rode pretty
> cautiously to prevent failure out in the boonies.  The bike came with the
> Albatross handlebar, and though I am more used to riding with drops, the
> Albas were fine.  I definitely missed the lack of *comfortable* hand
> positions but they certainly didn’t prevent me from finishing the trip or
> having a good time.
>

> john

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.* *(The cross stands motionless while the
world revolves.) *Carthusian motto

*It is *we *who change; *He* remains the same.* Eckhart

*Kinei hos eromenon.* (*It moves [all things] as the beloved.) *Aristotle