Thanks for the all the positive responses everyone.  It was a good and
challenging trip for me and I'm glad that it resonated with a few of you as
well.

I'm not sure about that "recording prohibited" sign.  Guess I never thought
too much about it.  I assumed the Forest Service was trying to prevent
playback devices which can be used to located birds or other animals, but
are generally considered a sort of wildlife harassment.  Maybe they are
trying to prevent the commercial use of public lands without the
appropriate permits.  Not sure, really.

The weather was fantastic!  Highs in the upper 70s or mid 80s depending on
the day and elevation.  Low temps in the 50s.  Had a great lightning storm
in the Chiricahuas on my last night there with thunder reverberating
throughout the canyon and only a little rain to keep the night cool.  Winds
were persistent, but not too bad-- mostly out of the east and southeast
which actually gave me some assistance up the worst of the hills.

john