Plastic (of some sort) is an ideal material for a spacer/washer for this
use. The old cruddy plastic was good enough unless it was abused, and when
it failed the shifter still worked...and plastic failure posed to rider
risk. Any hardware store has flat, wave, and split washers that can slide
right in there and be a metal substitute and work well, but if one's thumbs
are as big as one's big toes and the rest of the fingers are proportional,
this rig can prove a little fussy, and it lacks the "key" that fits into
the rectangular hole. (Tho once in place, it's solid). But Plastic Washer
#2 has, so far after 4 years, proven to work 100 percent without breaking).

This doesn't mean the first was defo. It was exactly the same as the
original washer in the SunTour shifter. It just means it's more

We sell those washers cheap in pairs, and it's those washers that'll go in
the Silver-2 shifters. So they could be bought as backups, but considering
their track record so far and the low-risk of a failure, buying more than
one set of replacement washers is just supplying your heirs with tiny
nothings to toss "later on."

On a more personal level and if I can NOT speak for RBW for a second: I
LIKE stuff that can wear out or break (as long as it's not constant) and
that can be replaced and made good as new again. I did it for years with
Campagnolo parts, and ball bearings in general, now and then a cup or a
cone race.

On Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 9:54:36 AM UTC-7, Conway Bennett wrote:
> G,
> Have you solved the wimpy plastic washer issue?  Maybe a thick hard
> rubber?  I remember there were two types of action figures growing up:
> brittle Gi joes who's thumbs broke off and these heartier more maliable
> super heroes with a similar but durable Kung fu grip.  I don't know why
> silvers 1s trigger this memory but that's where my mind goes.  In any case,
> I learned my lesson and stocked up as I have silver 1s on noodles and cycle
> thru them and chalk it up to regular maintenance.
> FW,

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit