I've dealt with this twice recently and the first had a standard, expected
source, the second was quite confounding - both had similar characteristics
as you described.

1. First, easy fix, turned out to be pedal bearings that I simply repacked
- no new bearings, just removed, cleaned and regreased.
2. Second one had me removing and reinstalling:
 - cranks
 - pedals
 - chainring
 - bottom bracket
 - saddle
all to no avail - finally, standing next to the bike I
pushed/pulled/shook/rocked and poked everything I could, and I seemed to be
able to reproduced a click by rocking the saddle back and forth with quite
a bit of pressure, though I reproduced the problem with multiple
saddles.... so I pulled the seatpost and re/over-lubed it and reinstalled
it and the clicking went away.