Thanks for all of your responses! Lot's of stuff to try. To answer Bill's

1. If I had to categorize it, I would definitely describe it as more of a
2. Good question. I will have to ride it tonight to determine. But
definitely not random.
3. Very good question. Most bike-related noises don't bother me that much
as long as everything rides smooth-ish. I think this one does because (a)
it's happened all the single speed setups I've owned; and (2) I'm worried I
may have done damage while installing the bottom bracket (or that the
threads were already damaged in some way).

Most everything related to the drivetrain is new...crank, chainrings,
chainring bolts, bottom bracket, rear wheel, freewheel, and chain. But
before pulling the crank/bottom bracket, I'll check (and if necessary
re-grease) everything. The thing that baffles me is that there isn't a
single shared part on this bike and the Trek that had the same sound. Well,
except the rider.

I'll keep you updated on my sleuthing...

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit