One more random possibility to add to the list, which has plagued me in the
past.  Fits with the "one click per revolution" description:

If I understand correctly, you are using two chainrings.  Are there any
rivets or screws on your largest ring?   If it has a pin on the outside,
intended to keep chains that drop to the outside from wedging into the
space behind the crank arm, it might be riveted or screwed in place.   Or
perhaps there are some ramps riveted on to aid shifts, if it's not a
single-speed specific ring?

If your chainline isn't good, or if you're using a wider chain (like an
8-speed chain on rings with 9-speed spacing between them), the reduced
clearance could cause the chain to strike one of those rivets or pieces on
the adjacent chainring.   Easy way to test is if it happens when chain on
the smaller/middle chainring only.   Obviously you don't need those things
on a Simple One, so you could remove them.  Or you could use a narrower
chain, or refine the chainline...

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit