One even more arcane possibility, very unlikely but just in case, one which
I experienced just the other day: loose cleat or other metal bits on your
shoes. I installed an adaptor plate on my road Sidis, leaving the original
SPD attachments loose. On one shoe -- left, IIRC -- this sometimes moves
and clicks once per crank revolution, particularly when I am standing and
pulling back strongly on the pedal. I knew from the start what it was, so
the noise did not trouble me.