I have an excellent condition Platrack with bag, that you can use on top of
your Nitto M18 for just the reasons you outline. It has long stays that
support it from the fork eyelets at the tip (where the hub attaches). I no
longer use it, but can sell it cheap.

There are many options, as you state, but this one allows you to install it
and remove it easily when you don't want to carry a basket. Send me a PM if
interested. A search will provide images.

René