I tried using down tubes on my Sam and it was fun and definitely an
interesting and totally new experience in shifting.  I could not get used to it
so I went back to bar and shifting. But I do like the super clean look having
less housing and the buttery smooth shifting.  Now that I have a Rivendell bike
with dt shifter bosses on it I might try it again sometime and give it more
time to see if I can get used to it.   I really love that clean look. I was
wobbly on the bike down tube shifting and it was it felt strange moving my
torso that way although all I had to do was drop my hand and the shifter was
right there but still i had to do torso stabilizing to keep a straight line
while reaching down for the grab.