That is indeed a Sturmey Archer hub.  And yes, the cabling and
mounting is much cleaner than the Rohloff, although that's a very fine
unit as well.  I particularly like the J-Tek bar-end shifter (many
thanks to the member on this list who let me know about them, and to
Jim at Hiawatha Cycles for getting it to me).

I like the non-aero routing of the cables, which I think lends the
bike a more classic look.  I've just finished reading and drooling
over "The Golden Age of Handbuilt Bicycles" (Christmas gift from my
mother-in-law), and it confirmed my notions of how a randonneuring
bike should look.

And ... the rear wheel has to be deflated to get it in and out of the
frame. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward.  The cable for
the shift mechanism comes on and off the hub without tools, and the
wheel is otherwise like a singlespeed or fixed gear from that point on.

--Eric
www.wheelsnorth.org
www.campyonly.com