Good effort.  I still wonder why these new outboard, external bearing crank
sets don't come with the spindle detached from BOTH crank arms, and
available in multiple lengths.  Unlike you, I'm lucky that I'm not bothered
by a wide tread  q-factor,  but often wish for knee saver pedal extenders
or the opposite - an even wider spindle.

One note:  The "dust cap" that is supposed to have been applied with those
cranks (in case it wasn't) actually works like a pre-load snugging device,
similar to the top cap and star nut on a threadless steerer.  If you don't
use it, it may be difficult to the arms snugged in far enough, and end up
with premature bearing wear.  I'm not sure how you'd get it snug with that
much spindle still poking out.  You might still wish to grind it down after
all.