I would add the length back with a second Quick Link and put the old RD back
on. I've been through that whole process of using shorty derailers and trying
to avoid certain gear combos, and it's fer the boids I tell ya. I'd rather
shift whatever combo is available, and carry an extra link in a saddlebag to
assuage my probably unnecessary concern for failed Quick Links.