Ted wrote me a super nice and encouraging note either  in '94 winter after
Bstone announced its closing or early '95, in the first weeks of
RBW---complimenting the XO-1 among other things, and it started a 25-year
friendship. It was the first time I was aware of  a stranger from faraway
(Wisconsin) had actually understood the bike, and it fired off a synapse
that would've been dormant otherwise. But 25 years ago--since Andy
mentioned the InterBike show--I'll tell about my experience there. I'll
keep it short.
It was a huge event for me because it was the first showing of not just the
XO-1, but also the '91 catalogue, which was a million miles different than
all the other catalogues there. It had no photographs, it had seemingly
irrelevant articles, and didn't put forth a progressive image. It was
designed and made almost entirely in secret, even inside Bstone. It came
out exactly as I wanted it. I found the design team via a tip from
VeloNew's Felix McGowan. He told me to go to the DeFrancis Studio in Boston
for the character work--they could do anything I wanted. Inside Bstone it
was me and Ariadne Scott. She kept everybody on schedule and was so nice,
so everybody who worked on it (the paper supplier, the printer,
photographers who shot the bikes to be illustrated, and George Retseck, the
illustrator) loved working with us. I picked authors and wrote myself
and...it always stupefied me why there was so little internal curiosity,
but I think it was  more a combination of everybody was busy with their
job, and people trusted me to come up with something decent.

At the show, the XO-1 flopped, because dealers couldn't understand it.
Maybe not Andy, but most. I can't tell you how many times I was asked
"...but what KIND of bike is it? A mountain bike, a hybrid, a road bike?'
Looking back, I should have called it the Platypus, but that might have
doomed it more. Anyway, those "category" questions made a huge impression
on me. I couldn't understand how bike dealers, supposedly bike people,
could look at a bike close up and be confused as to its potential, with the
midsized slick tires and the funny handlebars, but they were, and said they
couldn't sell such an undefined bike.

I was marketing director, so I should have made it easier, but I just
couldn't imagine that a bike person could look at it and not get it (as Ted
did!)

The catalogue got mixed reviews--about 50-50 at best. One big dealer-- E.B.
were his initials, and he was a bigshot then and for many years after---
told me directly (to his credit!) that in 20+ years in the bike industry,
it was the worst catalogue he'd ever seen. It had no effect on me other
than befuddlement and resolve. My seeming stubbornness today came mostly
from those two incidents in '91, and in a more positive way, from Ted's
early support and the encouragement of so many others along the way (and
the existence of this list, and Jim for starting it, and so many of you)

It's starting to sound like a retirement send-off speech, or a surveying
the kingdom speech, but neither is close or even appropriate. We're here,
but it has always abeen a struggle, and we have a few big stressy projects
and plans all the time. Anyway--dat's it.