I feel like a lot of Jan's writing and purpose (and I could be totally
wrong here) is to disprove myths and encourage people to go wide for
comfort and enjoyment, from the lens of a cyclotourist who spends several
hundred km in a saddle pedaling. A lot of the testing and writing have
helped push the bike industry there, and he's careful to point out the
flaws in his testing as well.

My question mostly stems from reading BQ though. Their roots are in the
650b world because as I initially pointed out, there wasn't really any
options for 700c frames and wide tires, plus the whole french rando
tradition thing. But more and more bikes they test come in a wide variety
of tire sized, with a few now being 700c (that aren't just 29er mtn bikes
which serve very different purposes).

I get the obvious differences between a 700x42 and a 650x42. And at the end
of the day either will do great on the types of rides I do (30-50 mile
rides with about 30% being trails and fire roads). What got me thinking
more about this was being in Rivendell and riding their Rosco Road which
had 700x38 tires (I think) and can fit up to 700x50 (II think), and I liked
it a lot more over my 650bx42 bike (though there are a lot of frame
differences too to account for).