I had considered threading the top plate and bolting up from the bottom.
The distance between the bottom bracket and the chain stay bridge was
already tight - going up a size or two in order to get threads in the top
would have been impossible. The bolt size needed wouldn't have fit between
bottom bracket chain stay bridge. Still, i feel its silly that they don't
all thread in this way, as its always easier to flip the bike over and have
total access to the hardware then to try to come in at an angle and avoid
marring the seat tube paint.

I did indeed mean chain stay bridge for the captive flathead bolt - no
holes in the chain stays i promise :)

The captive bolt means that you don't have to take the kickstand off if you
have to mess around with the fender.

I have nothing against cottered cranks, in fact I generally enjoy the
classic appearance of them, this particular set has a little bit of play in
the arms though which manifests as a bit of wobble in the pedal stroke.