Ah, the MUP etiquette. It's confounding, isn't it? I've tried ringing bells,
but what I mean as a pleasant alert ends up seeming like honking to
pedestrians. I took a leaf out of Grant's book and put jingle bells on the
kids' bikes. They were clearanced at $1 apiece, and they wrap securely around
the bars with a strong velcro closure. Thus, people hear us coming as we jingle
down the path. But for the "zombies" - folks with ear buds or phones, I just
call out in my cheeriest voice, "Good morning!" and that works splendidly.
Sometimes I yell compliments - "Love your backpack!" "What a cute dog you
have!" "Working hard! Looking good!" I know some folks are irritated initially
because they don't expect us, but it's hard to be snarky with a rider who
cheerfully calls out a morning greeting to you. "On your left" was dicey, as
people often move left, and kids don't understand it. So, cheerfulness and
compliments are the way to go, in my humble opinion!

Leah, who rides TBBITW (The Best Bike in the World) cheerfully through the
suburbs.