John, I don't think there were ever any "... 52-14 days of 130BCD cranks".
A nerdy quibble I know, but please bear with me ...

I believe the venerable 52-14 high gear dates from early 144 bcd crank days
when Campi ruled and the Japanese copied Campi, when a common racing
chainring combination was 52/42, freewheels had 5 cogs starting with a 14t,
and cassettes were several years off. Back then (when I was younger and
lived in a flatter area) I had a bike with 52/44 rings and a 14-18 straight
block. That was really nice. Later on 53/42 was quite common before the
130bcd 53/39 cranks took over (and 14t small cogs went out of fashion).
Then came the "compact double" 50/34 (110bcd?) cranks sold as the more
reasonable alternative for non racers who for whatever reason did not want
a triple. These days I hear that the 52t big ring is making a resurgence on
"mid-compact" cranks with 52/36 rings (on 110bcd?). On the other end small
cogs went from 14 to 13, 12 and then settled at 11 for quite some time (as
the number of cogs grew form 5 to 10) before SRAM started offering 1x drive
trains with cassettes that started with a 10t cog (with the number of cogs
at 11 and looking towards 12).

Be all that as it may, aside from being a nice "round" number there is
nothing special about 100 gear inches, or 52-14 (which, by the way, doesn't
give a 100" gear with the tires people raced on back then). Plenty of folks
have no use for a gear that large, and plenty of folks who are not
professional racers find gears larger than 100" to be quite useful and like
to have them.

Anybody interested in "optimizing" their gears owes it to themselves to
figure out what high, and low gears they like through introspection and
experimentation. Cruising gears too. Along the way they will also figure
out what size gaps between gears they like, and then they can choose a
combination of rings and cogs that strikes the compromise they are happiest
with. Said compromise may or may not be the same for any number of bikes
they may own. In the case of the OP, he currently has a 50/34 crank and a
cassette that starts at 11. He should have no trouble figuring out how big
a gear he wants just by paying attention to what he uses.

Of course as RBW points out (at least I think they used to, I cant find it
on the site now), you can't go far wrong with a 46/36/24 triple and an
11-32 cassette and anybody not inclined to obsess about their gears really
ought not feel bad about not doing so.