Steve writes:
"... I had a 104" top gear on my 1972 P-15 Paramount as originally
delivered.  I found it way too high.  I changed the freewheel (had no
choice, really: the shop destroyed the Regina Oro when trying to remove it
for the first service) to one with a 15T that brought the top gear down to
a 97" and found that it made a huge difference: top gear was now usable.
It made as profound a change in the usefulness of the bike as switching the
granny to a Merz 31.  That was a 27 x 1 1/4" wheel, 54T big ring.  Make of
that what you will. ..."

Of which I make
Steve believes a 27x1-1/4" wheel has an effective radius of 27"
That he found the 54-14 104" top gear on his 1972 P-15 Paramount too high
for his liking.
That the ~7% smaller 97" gear he got by replacing his 14-xx freewheel with
a 15-xx one suited him much better.