Joe, that’s pretty intuitive on your part. You may be right; it could be time
to roll on some new wheels.

I’m always interested in hearing how other rider’s perceptions may or may not
jibe with mine. Every rider has an opinion, and each opinion is completely
valid. It’s nutty how for one rider, a bike will shimmy, and for another it’s
rock solid, for example. So many factors play into every bike and rider
relationship. I’m a relatively tall (6 feet even), light (buck fifty-five at
most) rider, with long legs and short torso. So maybe the Sam has always felt
larger to me than it would or does to a rider who may have the same PBH but a
substantially more heavily muscled body, for example. Or longer torso compared
to legs. In my opinion, my 60 cm 2009 Sam could be a really good fit for a 6’2”
rider with even longer legs than I have, due to the way the bike is put
together (long reach noodle bars with a longish stem, for example).

I guess my take away is that, at least concerning the Rivendell sizing
parameters, given the choice of two Sams all over again, I’d do best to choose
the smaller frame. For others - even with the same exact dimensions - it could
be the opposite. And it might be different for a different frame, which I guess
is a long way around restating my original querry and why I broached the
subject of the sloping top tube.

Thanks everyone for the comments. It’s been an interesting learning experience.