Bill, thanks for the  thoughts. I actually do think the type of bike is
good for me, because I regularly haul heavy groceries - easily 30 pounds. I
don't expect the Sam to be sprightly when I'm hauling weight, of course
(wouldn't that be nice?). It's the when I remove all the weight and climb
the same hill and don't feel much less encumbered that annoys me. I suspect
that you are correct, and that my intuition has been correct and that the
60 fits less well than a smaller frame would, regardless of what my PBH
says.

For the record, I've never expected the Sam to ride like a "road" bike. But
I've always been surprised that, as nice as it is on the flats and
downhill, it does not climb better for me.