Ash,

Great that you ordered an Appa, but no reason to put the old horse out to
pasture when there is really nothing wrong with the bike other than it has
not been setup to fit your current situation.

I had a neck problem develop after sitting at a computer for years combined
with riding a racing setup with bars well below saddle. My neck could no
longer take being in the "crane neck" position.
 After much research about bike fit and discovering that traditionally
cyclists did not ride a racing setup but used what is now referred to as a
French Fit.That helped me learn how to make most properly sized frames bit
me comfortably. Properly size frame, stem length/angle to get
proper/comfortable position on bike. Saddle position is much more a
personal preference and should not be used in an attempt to get a bike to
fit and even then, saddle shape and angle have a lot to do with being
comfortable.

That is to say, your bars are too low, partly because the stem is flipped
into the downward position. That stem is a 6 degree stem, so flipping it
over will raise the bars a few mm.
 Using a 17 degree rise stem would raise your bars a good bit. You could
even get a longish 25 degree rise stem that would give the dirt drop stem
effect. There are online stem calculators that will give you the amount of
vertical and horizontal difference that stem length/rise can give.

Enjoy the new Appa with Alba bars, but make the Raleigh fit properly with
the correct stem. More bikes is a good thing!

Cheers,
Bill in wintery Roswell, GA