Good question. Cantis and centerpulls really need good setup. Most use an
oversized brake cable as a straddle wire, which needs to be set to conform
to the straddle cable hanger, otherwise, it takes the first lever travel
just to straighten the straddle wire. There are better ways to set up
straddle cables, see

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2016/04/04/straddle-cables-done-right/

The biggest issue with V-brakes was that they did have a higher mechanical
advantage (less slack meant you could set the pads closer to the rim), but
that exacerbated the issues with flexing the fork blades and seatstays
under hard braking.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly