I will certainly try tightening down the screws on my shifters.  Since they
gave me problems from day one, I didn't figure they were loose, but
anything can happen, I guess.  I cut my teeth on friction shifting, but
only five cog freewheels.  Then there was the hiatus when I was riding
indexed shifting.  Generally, I prefer manual over automatic, so I was glad
to get back into friction shifting with the Clem.  I figured the problem I
was having was due to degraded technique from 'the hiatus,' and the fact
that there were three more cogs shimmied into the rear cluster.  A recipe
for a real fuster cluck if ever there was one.  So I'll tighten down the
shifter bolt, and maybe try the barrel adjuster to account for the fact
that the cables are new and stretchy.  If that doesn't work, there is at
least one derailer in the parts bin that could get swapped in, and if that
doesn't work, maybe those new Silver Shifters, V2 will be showing up soon.
I don't like to blame the equipment, but since others report the same
problem, maybe it's not all me, either.