A soft-boiled egg loses heat quickly. The egg-cozy keeps the egg warm for
the long trek from the kitchen to the dining room (or bedroom if we're
talking breakfast in bed). In a country where they've only just discovered
central heating, and mostly still seem to refuse to use it, a warm
breakfast is a good thing.

Ian A - who was raised in the UK.