ON LBS or ONLINE or combo:

Not all ONLINERS are alike. At one extreme there is the late-20s guy who
never left the house or ramped up his resume, but he got  into bikes, and
cleared the hurdles to getting a reseller's permit. He eats and sleeps
iwhether or not he sells anything, but he likes to stay busy and the
correspondence and attention that comes with the business. His super low
prices come with non-immediate shipping because he doesn't stock anything,
so his theoretical inventory is sold before he orders it.   This is legal
and honest work, but the sale benefits one person who's not even in need.

At the other extreme there must be oversalaried suppliers who underpay
their employees and offer no benefits, and who jack up prices because on
principle they have to cover the top-heavy salaries, and the underpaid
staff is totally dispensible because customers can educate themselves
online, or something...and the staff never has to interact.

RBW is between those. We're in one of two low-rent buildings in a town
where, if you didn't buy a home 25 years ago with some family help, you
won't be able to working here. We pay better-than-bikeshop wages and offer
"gunning for google" benefits. We buy as direct and sell as direct as
possible to keep prices down, but if every puchase comes down to price,
we're no match for the pajama-clad brat with a computer and a day to win
the game. Then we're left with frames and bags and we layoff 11 of 14
employees. I think we got into this at the right time, but it doesn't seem
to be the right time anymore. We're trimming the menu and the cut items
won't be replaced. We're on an inventory-spending budget that means we'll
be more often out of stock. This stuff goes on all over the world, but is
just really obvious when the lake you thought your canoe was in is actually
a river and the waterfall's right over there.

We also have costs the extremes (or an LBS) doesn't have, because so much
of what we offer is our design, made for us, and we're picky about
materials and construction. The USA-available waxed cotton is 65 percent as
good as the Sackville Scottish cotton, but every time we order the
Scotstuff, we have a $9,000 bill and another $1,500 for freight to
Connecticut. There's a similar story for almost everything we "make." I've
understood this the whole time, and I don't mind, because it's the only way
we can stay in business. It doesn't work to buy Shimano derailers for $60,
then try to compete with online prices of $62. A non-businessperson would
think that's a $2 profit...

Whatever Alex at Yellow Haus (or James at Gravel & Grind) or John at Rivelo
charges for anything--it's the right price. We're all just licking the
bowls these days trying to hang in and hoping something changes. (I don't
mean to say I know their money woes, but it is impossible for them not to
worry every day.

It's hard to stay on top of everything the experts say we have to do to
stay alive. Have a device-friendly website? OK. Two clicks to the shopping
cart, and one click to buy? That's harder. Just-in-time inventory is
impossible. If Toyota couldn't do it in 1988, Rivendell sure can't do it
now.