All improvements are governed by the law of diminishing returns.  Going
from 28 mm tires to 38 mm tires yields a big improvement on comfort; from
38 to 48mm offers offers less but still noticeable improvement in comfort
without any noticeable loss in rolling.  Going from 48 to 58 will yield
little improvement in comfort while complicating other things, like frame
design, brake choice & fender selection.  My tandem rode very comfortably
on 1.5 tires for 5 years.  Last year I went with 1.8 (which also required
new brakes) and liked the improvement, but it was not huge, even with
450lbs of weight on them.  I have ridden a single on the C&O very
comfortably on 38 mm tires.

Michael