On 02/24/2017 10:27 PM, Patrick Moore wrote:
FWIW, I tried a 2-fish, velcro, strap-on cage on the down tube of my '99 Joe Starck custom gofast, for which I had foolishly told Grant to limit cage braze ons to the dt. (Grant: you were right, both for the st braze ons and for the sub-73* seat tube angles. But don't tell anyone I acknowledged this.)

Moving on: it works, after a fashion, but it also swivels at the slightest touch. I found that it would swivel far enough from straight line-ahead that my eagerly pumping legs would brush it, much to my annoyance, as I sturdily rode along.

Obviously not an issue for a back-of-the-seat-tube mount, like on my Moulton.

As alternative, I tried various bar-mount bottle cage attachment gizmos. They work well -- except that, with Riv geometry, the added weight of a 28 oz bottle makes the front wheel flop more than I can comfortably tolerate.

I found a better solution to carrying water was to attach a Carradice -- can't remember the name; it's the smallest one -- to the saddle, and put a quart bottle inside. Even better, I got D Banzer to make me a nice custom seat pack, that attaches elegantly to the rails of my Flite, that has a pocket for a 28oz bottle. Wala.