Thanks for taking the time to answer, Gossamer.  Like Scott said, it's
always useful to compare setups and hear what works for others - ESPECIALLY
when the bike is your size (that's a 58, right?), or the questions are ones
you've wrestled with.  I wish I had the money to buy this.  I'm kind of
kicking myself for buying a 59 Clem on pre-sale, that I knew was too big...
just before these Joes were announced.  Couldn't swing both, but this one
would have been the better choice for what I was after.  Your experience
and explanation is very helpful and confirms that it would have been the
right choice.   C'est la vie.  Hope the sale goes well for you.