On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 3:49:03 PM UTC-8, Patrick Moore wrote:

> Continuing this aside: what exactly is the purpose of electric shifting? I
> assume there is some benefit to someone besides the seller, since someone
> or other has been trying to make it work since the mid or late '90s. Does
> it make mis-shifts, which I assume (right? wrong?) are more common with
> cables the smaller the gaps between cogs, less likely?

What's the purpose  of e-shifting?! Are you crazy?!  Of course, its to sell
more bikes!  Come on, get with it!

But seriously, the latest e-shifting is fast and reliable. Unlike the old
Mavic Zap stuff from the 90s, this stuff really works. There's basically
tiny computers controlling the shifting. Most people I know have Shimano
ultegra di2 and love it. But the one guy with Sram etap loves it too and in
fact, upgraded his second bike to it. The best thing about etap is there's
no wires. So if you like your bike to look like a track bike with only
brakes cables, then this is the system for you!  In contrast, Shimano di2
does require wires, but many frames, especially carbon ones, are being
designed to hide the battery and control boxes. Add in a Garmin to track
everything and being able to upload your latest time and you're set!

One interesting thing that I notice is you see with all these guys with
major cross chain where you're in the big cog in the back and big chainring
at the same time. Further, with 11 speeds, you can get 50/34 chainrings and
11-32 in the rear. So, you see guys riding in their 50t big ring and 32t
rear cog, with no noise or protest from the system!   With di2, there's no
rubbing either as the FD "automatically" shifts to avoid any noise. Now is
it good for the life of the chain? Who cares, everything is done
effortlessly!

If you don't have guys in your group with e-shifting, shame on you! No,
seriously, go down to a LBS and check it out. Go to the big boys -
Trek/Specialized/C'dale/Giant. You'll see the latest! The big thing in my
group that got everyone drooling is etap with hydraulic disc brakes. Simply
amazing....Good Luck!