On 2/03/2017 10:35 AM, Patrick Moore wrote:
> Now this is a real benefit for some riders. Again, I think that
> electric shifting would probably benefit those who are less
> experienced or who simply are not interested in the (minor) art of
> shifting.
>
> I really think that some sort of sealed transmission (sealed from the
> elements; sealed from fiddling; sealed from impact damage), with
> "black box" electronic shifting, would make a lot of sense for many
> riders. (I do realize that your wife's XT system is not entirely
> "black box.")
>
> Such "black box" transmissions would take a good part of the fun out
> of riding, for me, but I can see their uses.

Well, my touring bike has had a Rohloff hub on it for about 15 years.
The Rohloff is pretty much a black box - all the smarts and indexing are
inside the hub, the twist shifter is merely a low tech device for
pulling on one of two cables depending on which way you twist it.

I mounted the shifter on drop bars like so:
http://www.users.on.net/~njpayne/bikestuff/rohloff/index.htm. These
days, there are multiple options for shifting the hub - see for example,
http://cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/tech-talk-shifter-options-for-use-with.html.

Nick