There are Promax BMX Vbrakes out there that would probably allow for
you to go to a smaller wheel, they have a pretty wide adjustment
range.  That said they are ugly and IMO would look out of place on a
Rivendell.

http://365cycles.com/promax-p-1-linear-pull-brakes-108mm-reach-red.html?fee=1&fep=37420&gclid=CjwKEAjw8OLGBRCklJalqKHzjQ0SJACP4BHrBwsK2DNsMNEW7LPqC3twbvSWguPF7ZjVDk3sby2fEBoCQmbw_wcB

There's also this, which is doubly ugly...

http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222398346/1395/Promax-Brake-Post-Extender.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp333222398346&sc_intid=333222398346&gclid=CjwKEAjw8OLGBRCklJalqKHzjQ0SJACP4BHre94TCNLyFUnSB3FBM0KKv6nvbrWiPlhivj2W8O6Y1xoCXHrw_wcB