Tony, I think an old 1" threaded unicrown would be the way to go, but could
be really hard to find one with such a long steerer. Prob most of the
mountain bikes of the late 80s and early 90s that might serve as donors had
shorter headtubes in their largest frame size than the XO-3. Probably most
donor bikes would also have a slacker headtube than your XO-3, so a donor
fork might make handling a bit different.

I couldn't justify having a new fork made for my RB-T, but if you had a
custom fork made for your bike, it would also fit the 1993 XO-1, XO-2, XO-3
and XO-4, the 1992 XO-1 and XO-2, and the 1994 XO-3. All those bikes had
26" wheels and a 59cm frame with more or less identical geometry. All those
bikes' stock forks suffer from limited (by today's standards) tire
clearance and (I believe) narrow cantilever boss spacing that prevents the
use of brakes designed for wider bosses, like the Tektros Riv sells, or
Pauls. If you some day crack your XO-3's bottom bracket, or spot a killer
deal on a different XO, you'd be able to transplant your custom fork.

Check out the custom fork on this old Trek, apparently $200-$300:
http://theradavist.com/2014/01/beautiful-bicycle-benedicts-trek-970-650b-shred-sled/#11