Throwing in my two cents, though I doubt I'll sway anyone:

   - I've been satisfied with my Carradice bags. Yeah, the newer ones
   aren't built as well as the old ones, but I like how they work and I like
   how they look. And they are repairable. And if you hunt around, you can
   usually find a used one for a decent price.
   - I know that the Sackvilles in all their made-in-Connecticut glory
   (there's only one "T" at the end of Connecticut, Grant. ;-) ) are good and
   built well. But (and I know this will get me burned at the stake on this
   list, but I'll just say it) aesthetically they don't do much for me. I also
   like saddlebags that are designed to look good and work without a rack, and
   it seems like anything beyond the smallest saddlebags need a rack. Part of
   the reason why I want a saddlebag is to not have a rear rack. (Granted, I
   have used bag supports...)
   - The Swift bags are well made, but I like canvas, and their saddlebags
   are small.
   - The Acorn bags are also nice. I have a handlebar bag.
   - And since it hasn't been mentioned here yet, one of our fellow list
   members, David Banzer, makes some pretty sweet canvas bags, including a
   saddlebag. They are not big, but big enough for day rides. I own this one
   here: http://treetop.bigcartel.com/product/saddlebag

Shawn "Made in Connecticutt (sic)" Granton