I'm still a little bit confused.  The traditional method of attaching this
rack is with the threaded rod extending all of the way through the fork
crown to be secured with a traditional nyloc nut on the back of the crown,
as is visible here
<https://process.filepicker.io/AevbsiaW2SbOjYpq8ea4Az/resize=width:1500/https://www.filepicker.io/api/file/dhbTJCahTnyjrKFQDinZ>
 on
a picture of Mark's QB from the riv staff bike page.

Your description that "the nut fits perfectly inside the recessed part of
the mount and lays flat against the crown," along with the fact that there
is a spacer on the front of the crown make me think your rack was installed
with a recessed caliper brake nut like these
<http://wheelsmfg.com/brake-nut.html> (or perhaps shorter if came off a
rear brake), with the threaded rod somehow trimmed or spaced out such that
it terminates inside the fork crown.

Is that the case?