Thanks to everyone for their considered responses.  These are somewhat long
term plans right now.  One planned route is out of Bozeman up Bridger
Canyon then camping somewhere on Flathead Pass.  Return next day down the
west side of the Bridgers.

A few comments:
Pannier storage is an option but looking for more of a rack-mounted
solution.  Perhaps in a bear can in a bag strapped to the rear rack.  I'll
need to try the stability.  Front already taken by H'bar bag, maybe add
front rack as well (an ancient Karrimor perhaps? {THAT'S gotta date me!})
Alternatively a custom rack specifically designed to hold a cylinder.

Deacon, as you point out bear behavior varies radically especially from
region to region. Sierra bears are among the WORST.  In the front country
steel lockers the only safe storage.  Food and other "smellies" in cars
will result in a destroyed car.  Don't even think about leaving food in a
tent or pack unless you want them destroyed as well.  One bear even took a
pack of a kid's back at the top of Nevada Falls in Yosemite and was
subsequently destroyed.  (The bears' behavior was becoming more dangerous
over time, the kid was unharmed.)  Yellowstone and Glacier are a different
matter, only requiring storage in a hard-sided vehicle such as a car or a
standard trailer.  Tents and tent trailers are out.

Hanging alway an option as I'm not intending to camp above tree-line.  I've
just found it time consuming to set up.  I use a dacron line -- doesn't
stretch like nylon can.  Even then the mini-bears can get into a standard
bag (mini-bears = chipmunks).

Bear spray goes without saying.  Carry it on my hip.

Ursak, an interesting option, especially when combined with a hang.  But
ALL bear resistant containers have their limitations.
*  I have heard of at least one Sierra bear that has learned to spin the
top off the BearVault container,
*  Another that has learned to drop the Garcia cans off a 300 foot cliff to
crack it open.
*  Then there is the rumored "Kamakazi Bear" of northwestern Cali that is
reputed to climb above hung bags and jump on the lines to bring the bags
down.
*  I have also seen videos of a standing sow with a cub standing on her
shoulders being able to reach a standard hang.
*  The Bearsak?  As Deacon has reported bears have been unable to breach
them but how well do the contents survive?  The bears can't get the food,
but I've heard you'd better like the pulverized mixture of everything
together, possibly drenched in bear drool! (only a rumor of course.)

Thanks to everyone! and
Cheers!

Final fun thoughts:
Some tourists complain about the cost of bear spray - something they might
not even need (and you can't fly it home).  So what do you do with it after
you leave.  A Ranger in Glacier suggested that you keep it by the front
door...

It's easy to tell the type of bear in the area, without seeing the bear.
*  Black bear scat is full of berries, nuts, and small mammal parts, and
smells like scat.
*  Grizzly scat has the same contents but with the addition of bells and
smelling of pepper...

Why can't bears open the Garcia-type containers?  It's because they don't
have pockets!  If they don't have pockets they don't have a place to carry
the quarters needed to open the canister...