The principles are the same, but the cork tape is going to be a lot thicker
and in my own experience, while not much harder to wrap, it has a higher
tendency to become unwrapped or slip along the handlebars on its own during
use. I much prefer leather tape, and from the available choices, the best
one I've tried is the Compass Cycles version, which is made from a single
strip of leather (Brooks leather has two strips at least, glued to each
other, and the junction is ugly). It is also super soft and supple to wrap.

René