From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
[mailto:rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of René Sterental
Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2017 9:25 PM
To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [RBW] Re: The Hubbuhubbuhs are here!

Progress photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/orthie251/albums/72157680299609103/with/34450768136/

After a long day at work getting, among other things the Betty ready to ship to
its new home (bittersweet), I came home in the evening and started the build of
my Hubbuhubbuh. By midnight, I had accomplished everything you can see in the
photos, where by the way, you can also see the awesome decals it sports.

Had not trouble anywhere, except on the installation of the rear disc brake,
where the rotor I had chosen rubs the Shimano adapter. If the mount on the
frame was a mm or two more outward, it would have worked perfectly. This is a
hope rotor that has the new isolation or whatever for the disc rotor, probably
total overkill for the tandem, but I had it from another project. A standard
flat rotor won't rub, so I'm getting one of those. No biggie here.

The Silver cranks are totally awesome. I had mixed feelings when I ordered them
based on the photos, but didn't feel like putting it all together from scratch
with Sugino cranes, and the René Herse I love on my single bikes are just too
expensive and unjustifiable at this time. But when I took them out of the box
and installed them, I was blown away. They look fantastic and the guards are
just so cool. You can see them in the photos.

You can also see where I'm planning to place the thumbie for the disc brake, a
place where it's easy to use yet doesn't get in the way of the hand positions.
I'm planning to use barend shifters on the tips of the handlebar so I can
easily shift without potentially compromising the control of the bike, and so I
keep the handlebars free. Over time, I'll see if the preferences change.

The new Bosco treadless handlebar is awesome as you can see. I was planning on
going with Chocos, but I think it'll stay this way, at least for now. I had
already purchased the Nitto high rise stem to use with the Chocos, so when the
new wider sleeved Chocos arrive, I'll get one to have as backup alternative,
just in case.

Had a big family debate regarding the pedal and cabling colors. I think the
cabling will be blue as shown, white turned out to be too bright and out of
context, gray is boring and in most of my bikes anyway, so I was concerned the
blue cables would look too weird, but I think it looks good and my wife and son
liked them. So we'll see when it's all cabled. Got some blue pedals as well,
but they don't match the color of the cables and it's just too much, so they're
going back and will use silver pedals. These Vault pedals are just my favorite.
Wide, grippy, very comfortable.

The saddles are a matching pair of B67 and B67S Select, so I'm hoping my wife
will love it. If necessary at first, I'll add some padded cover. Rides are
going to be very short initially anyway. She's quite nervous about it, but I
told her everything that went wrong would be my fault, and there would be no
pressure to ride on the street until she's absolutely ready for it, however
long it takes.

The Compass 48mm wide tires look awesome and should ride like that as well,
based on how all my other Compass tires ride on my bikes. These, however, are
not the ultra-light, but rather the regular casing version heeding Theo's
advice at Compass tires. Just in case.

The wheels are custom made by Rich using 4-cross (Grant was very impressed) 40
spokes on White Industries hubs. They look amazing!

As much as I would love to finish the build this weekend, I'm still waiting for
the polished Motolites, which hopefully will ship out next week. I'm taking the
fork to have the steerer tube cut, as I don't have the special tool to do the
straight cut and it's not worth getting it as this is not a usual task I do at
home.

Got some special edition set of Carradice tweed roll and Barley bags to put the
finishing touch on the Hubbuhubbuh when I'm done. My wife approved of them when
she saw them, and appreciated the fact that I had sold a number of other bags
during the week, so that was good! Needless to say, had RBW had the SaddleSack
and tube bags in blue to make a matching set, I'd have gone for those!

Enjoy and stay tuned for more!

René